Search This Blog

Thursday, October 27, 2011

Shin Splints

Ugh!  This morning, I woke up at 7:30AM and didn't even want to move.  I've been consistent with a new training regimen involving running, weight lifting and diet.  I'm already in good shape for strength but definitely need to spend more time working up my cardio.

  Three days per week I run from my one job to my second.  It's only 1.5 miles, but between traffic and stoplights, it is a lot of stop and go running.  I've started to develop shin splints because I'm so out of shape!  Shin splints can arise in two different forms: muscular and bone.  Muscular shin splints happen when your tibialis anterior (the muscle on the front of your shin) is out of shape and gets muscular microtears.  Bone shin splints occur when micro fractures form in the tibia (shin bone). 

    In order to cope with these shin splints, I'm going to freeze a water bottle and use it to rub out the soreness at night before I go to bed.  To make it much more bearable I'm going to wrap it in a paper towel so that my skin doesn't freeze!

No comments:

Post a Comment