Search This Blog

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Russ's 2012 Goals



Hey Everyone,

   I just wanted to share my goal setting so that you can see a nice example to shape your own goals around.  It's also good because I know that with an audience, I'm much more likely to stay on track!  Let's get started:

   First I started thinking about what my Core Goals are:

1.  Reduce Fat 
2.  Increase Aerobic Capacity


   In order to narrow these goals a little bit further, I thought about what is specific and what would be reasonable to accomplish over one microcycle (6 weeks in this case).

1. Reduce body fat percentage: To measure body fat percentages, I'm going to use the combination of taking my scale weight along with my BIA (bio-electric impedance) body fat percentage measurement.

     Specifically:  5lbs of weight or a body fat percentage reduction of 2%

  I chose these measures because due to hydration issues as well as muscle building, the scale weight can be misleading.  Also, without having a full body scan, even the BIA scale can lead you astray!

2. Increase Aerobic Capacity: To measure my aerobic capacity, I'm going to use two simple tests:

    I want to increase my endurance of running at a constant speed of 6.0, incline of 3 degrees, by 10 minutes.

    I also want to increase the total distance I can run in 20 minutes by 0.25 Miles.

Using a SMART Analysis:

   My goals are both specific and measurable with exact numbers.  Because of my certification, I know that both goals are attainable and realistic for my body composition, level of fitness and age.  Lastly, the goals are timely because the deadline is only 6 weeks!

   Building from the bottom up, I can now set my Macrocycle Goals (3 microcyles in length):


1. Reduce Fat: Lose 15 pounds or 6% body fat in 4.5 months or 18 weeks.

2. Increase Aerobic Capacity: Increase time till fatigue by 30 minutes and increase total distance ran by 0.75 miles.

   Now, I'm set with my new 2012 goals.  I'm also going to post mini-goals every few weeks that will include specific exercises, weights and reps.  Challenge yourself to break my goals as well!  The official weigh in is tonight!

Wish me luck!

Stay strong,
Russ

1 comment:

  1. This is very helpful, I prefer small short term goals so I don't get overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete